Horticulture Class 31: Section 1 – 55
Chair:Barb Niemeyer, 905 939 2216
Co-Chair:Norma Jean Stephenson Frans Committee: Sheila Kelly, Mary Bachlow
- all rules at the beginning of the Homecraft section apply
- all entries are judged by the Ontario Judging Standards Book
- the use of the chemical “Plant Shine” is discouraged and infested plants will be isolated in plastic bags & not be judged- the exhibitor with Highest Points will receive a special prize, to be determined before the Fair
Prizes: 1st – $3.00 2nd – $2.50 3rd – $2.00
- Tulip red
- Tulip, white or cream
- Tulip, yellow
- Tulip, variegated (blended colours)
- Tulip, purple or mauve
- Tulip, double
- Tulip, pink or rose
- Tulip, multi-floral (more than one flower per stem)
- Tulip, fringed
- Tulip, parrot
- Tulip, bi-colour
- Tulip, apricot or orange
- Tulip, lili type
- Narcissus or daffodil
- Lily of the Valley, 3 stems only, leaves if attached
- Lilac, common, 1 truss
- Lilac, double, 1 truss
- Bleeding heart – 1 stem
- Pansies, 3 stems with own foliage
- Violas, 3 stems with own foliage
- Crown Imperial (Skunk Flower)
- Iris – white or cream, 1 stem
- Iris – pink, 1 stem
- Iris – yellow, 1stem
- Iris – peach, 1 stem
- Iris – mauve, 1 stem
- Iris – blue, 1 stem
- Iris – bronze, 1 stem
- Iris – purple, 1 stem
- Iris – black, 1 stem
- Iris – plicata – any colour with fancy markings on edge – 1 stem
- Iris – beige, 1 stem
- Iris – two tone, 1 stem
- Iris – 3 distinct colours, 1 stem
- Iris – Siberian, 1 stem
- Iris – any other colour not listed, 1 stem
- Oriental Poppy, any colour, 1 bloom
- Solomon’s seal, 1 stem
- Columbine, 1stem
- Flowering bench
- Lupin, 1 stem
- Peony, 1 stem, no buds
- Leopards Bane, 1 stem
- Allium, 1 stem
- Any other flower not listed
Prizes: 1st – $5.00 2nd – $4.00 3rd – $3.00 Commercial flowers may be used, but no artificial or dried flowers unless stated. Accessories only when listed
Chief Points OF Design
Colour harmony, distinction and originality, suitability to occasion, texture harmony, and condition of blooms & relation to container.
- “She Sells Seashells” a miniature design in a shell, size not to exceed 2″ in any direction including shell.
- “Beauty Without Bloom” a design using only foliage, no flowers.
- “Cool Vase” a design using shades of one colour, greenery allowed
- People’s Choice “Jewels of Spring” a design using Spring flowers. To be judged by people attending the Fair. Ballots will be available at the cash table for the snack bar.
1st place $15.00, 2nd place $10.00 Donated by Norma Jean Stephenson Frans.
- “Heavenly Smell” a basket of lilacs.
- “Quilting Block” create a design with natural material in a square container, not to exceed 9”.
- “Frog Goes Courting” a water design in a glass dish or container, accessories allowed.
- “Green Living Roof” a fresh design that could be seen on a roof top, using a rectangular container to make a green sanctuary. Accessories permitted.
- “Going Back IN Time” a floral design of your heritage. Best design will win a gift certificate fromSeason‘S Floral Studio, Schomberg.
- “Through The Farm Gates” our fair theme. An arrangement, using your imagination.
Special price: $15.00 donated by Barb Niemeyer.
There will be one Best of Show Rosette awarded to the best entry in the Specimen Section There will be one Best of Show Rosette awarded to the best entry in the Arrangements Section
Special Prize: A plaque in memory of Doris Hughes. One winner will be selected from the Arrangements Section and their name entered on the Perpetual Plaque donated by Linda Baker.